|Music Theme(s)||Ruin Rhapsody|
|Notable Feature(s)||It is the first level to feature grabbable vine switches to reveal items and platforms and open paths.|
|Enemies Encountered||Tiki Goons, Stilts, Tiki Buzzes, Tiki Bombers, Screaming Pillars, Tiki Zings|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)|
Wonky Waterway is the eighteenth level in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, as well as the first level in the Ruins world of Donkey Kong Island. It is preceded by Pinchin' Pirates and followed by Button Bash.
Start by going left and roll-jump to the left using Diddy Kong's rocket pack if necessary. You will land on a platform with the first Puzzle Piece. Do the same to get back to the right. Follow the path forward jumping on the two Tiki Buzzes to get to the higher ledge. When you reach the next two Tiki Buzzes, use them to bounce and reach into the letter "K". Pound on the DK Platform to open the ruins ahead. Keep going right, avoid the Tiki Bomber's fireballs and blow out its fire to able defeat it.
Jump down and stand between the two Screaming Pillars. Once they fall, blow out the three candles in the middle to reveal a golden monkey vine switch. Grab and hold the switch to reveal bananas, a Banana Coin and the second Puzzle Piece. Go right until you reach another vine switch. Hold the switch to temporally activate a platform. Get on the platform and cling on the grassy turf of the ceiling. Go around the left side of the ceiling and jump into the barrel cannon which leads to a Bonus Room. In the room, use the platforms to collect all eighty bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon within thirty seconds and make the third Puzzle Piece to appear. After the Bonus Room, go back and pull the same vine switch. This time go to the right on the grassy turf of the ceiling collecting the letter "O" at the end. Jump to the right and go past the checkpoint across the wooden bridge.
Jump over the spikes and quickly past the Screaming Pillars. Once you are on the other side next to the urn, go back and pound on the second pillar to reveal the fourth Puzzle Piece. Go back to the right and you should barely see a Puzzle Piece below the screen. Do not pull the vine switch close by yet and jump down to collect the fifth Puzzle Piece. Now go back up to the vine switch. Pull it to drop the stone bridge and go past the Stilts. Jump into the autofire barrel to be taken to a set of falling stone platforms. Keep jumping across before they break while avoiding some Tiki Zings. You will eventually reach an autofire barrel. Blast over to the next stone platform quickly and collect the letter "N" before it breaks. Jump into the autofire barrel and you will be shot into the background of the level. Travel left on stone platforms avoiding more Tiki Zings and then jump into the next autofire barrel. You will be sent further into the background. Travel right once again avoiding all obstacles. You will reach a final autofire barrel that will shoot you back to the foreground.
Go right and past the checkpoint, and use the vine switch to open the mouth of a giant statue. Quickly run through before it crushes you. Once on the other side, defeat the Stilts and blow out the three candles to reveal other vine switch. Pull the switch to get a few bananas and Banana Coins. Blow out the Tiki Bomber's fire and defeat it. Ground-pound close by the urn to get the sixth Puzzle Piece. When nearby the next two platforms, the Screaming Pillars will fall, encasing the letter "G" and defeating a Tiki Goon. After that, pound on the two stacked Screaming Pillars to get the letter. Going forward, roll down the ramp, go past over the pits, the Screaming Pillars and urns, go up another ramp. Or you can jump and bounce on the Tiki Buzzes upward and reach the Slot Machine Barrel. Ignore the barrel for now. Just like the beginning of the level, roll-jump right and use Diddy's rocket pack, if needed, to reach a platform on the other side. Pull the vine switch to reveal the seventh and final Puzzle Piece. Jump back over and touch the barrel to complete the level.
- Tiki Goon: 7
- Stilts: 6 (3 regular type & 3 unfeathered type)
- Tiki Buzz: 12 (regular type)
- Tiki Bomber: 3
- Screaming Pillar: 8 (regular size)
- Tiki Zing: 7 (regular size)
- DK Barrels: 3
- Banana Coins: 10 (counts 2 in the Bonus Room, does not count three or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- Extra Life Balloons: 1 (counts 1 in the Bonus Room, does not count eight or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- K: Immediately before approaching the DK Platform to open the ruins, the heroes must bounce on top of a series of Tiki Buzzes to reach the letter "K" that is high in the air.
- O: After the Bonus Room, the letter "O" is located immediately before the first checkpoint on the edge of the climbable grassy turf.
- N: After the fifth Puzzle Piece, as the primates dash across the section of falling platforms in the foreground, they can find the letter "N" above a Tiki Zing.
- G: Immediately after the sixth Puzzle Piece, the primates come up to some Screaming Pillars. After the pillars fall, the Kongs must pound on the first pillar, along with the second on top of it, and collect the letter "G".
- 1: The Kongs must travel backwards at the beginning of the level and perform a roll-jump and reach a hidden platform. There is a Tiki Goon and the first Puzzle Piece.
- 2: After the letter "K", the Kongs can find three candles between two Screaming Pillars. They must blow out the candles and a vine switch will appear. Pulling it reveals several collectibles, including a Puzzle Piece.
- 3: After the second vine switch, the Kongs can head left along the grassy turf to find a barrel cannon. The cannon can shoot them to a Bonus Room, where they must maneuver around several platforms to collect eighty bananas, two Banana Coins, and an Extra Life Balloon within thirty seconds. After all of the items are collected, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- 4: After the first checkpoint, the heroes must dodge a few Screaming Pillars around some spikes. They must pound on the second of the fallen pillars and make a Puzzle Piece to appear.
- 5: After the first checkpoint and a set of Screaming Pillars, the heroes can find a Puzzle Piece below the screen in a nearby gap located immediately after a vine switch. They must not pull the vine switch before collecting the piece or a stone bridge will fall over the Puzzle Piece, making necessary to restart the level section to able collect it.
- 6: After the second checkpoint and before the Kongs encounter the final set of Screaming Pillars, they must break open an urn to reveal the sixth Puzzle Piece.
- 7: At the end of the level, the Kongs must go pass the Slot Machine Barrel and roll-jump over the pit after it. They must land on a hidden platform with a vine switch and Tiki Goons on it. They must pull the switch and the statue nearby will throw the last Puzzle Piece next to them.
The puzzle of Wonky Waterway is of a cherry against a light yellow background. When all of the pieces are found, the Scurvy Crew artwork will be added to the Boss Gallery of the Image Gallery in the Extras menu.
Time Attack Medals
- Shiny Gold: 01:06.00
- Gold: 01:13.00
- Silver: 01:33.00
- Bronze: 02:32.00 (02:12.00 in the Japanese version)
- At the beginning of the level, the giant blocks blocking the path and to be open by pounding on the DK Platform are sculpted after the appearance of young Cranky Kong (also known as the "original" Donkey Kong), the main antagonist in the classic Donkey Kong game.
- At the slopes of the level's final section, it is possible to see the "original" Donkey Kong's statue holding a Wii Remote in the background.