Steam Trains are automated trains that appear in the Cave level Grip 'n' Trip in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. The trains carry platforms with turf-covered surfaces at the bottom, providing vegetation for Donkey and Diddy Kong to hang from, hence the level name, Grip 'n' Trip. Once either of the Kongs are hanging on under, the trains will start to rush along the tracks at the top of the screen, allowing the heroes to progress. The trains will keep moving until eventually crashing and exploding at the end of their tracks, dropping the primates. In the same level, players must use good timing to release the grip from the turf-covered platforms and land safely below, on solid platforms or mine carts.
- If the player pauses the game while riding the train, then go back to playing without holding the button to cling, they will fall down and probably lose an extra life.
- The funnels of the steam locomotives appear to release fire opposed to smoke.
- The trains' shape look somewhat like a barrel, similar to signature items in the Donkey Kong series.
- The steam trains have similar designs to the automated train in the Cave level Mole Patrol and the train piloted by Mole Miner Max in the boss level The Mole Train.
- The mine carts ridden by the Kongs in the level seem to resemble the single carts attached to the train, and vice-versa.