Squiddicus as seen in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
|Residence(s)||Stormy Shore (in DKCR & DKCR3D), Irate Eight (in DKC:TF)|
|Powers/Abilities||Pursuing enemies, |
Reaching out its tentacles,
Destroying floating platforms
|World(s)||Beach (in DKCR & DKCR3D), Sea Breeze Cove (in DKC:TF)|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze|
Squiddicus is a octopus enemy found in Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze as a mini-boss. It is a giant octopus with eight spiky tentacles, and it can also squirt ink like real life octupi.
In the first two games, it appears in Beach level Stormy Shore, where it is the main obstacle of the level and it is undefeatable. In the third game, it returns in Sea Breeze Cove level Irate Eight to hinder the Kongs again, but they defeat him with mines.
Appearances in the Games
In its first appearance in Donkey Kong Country Returns, the giant sea creature is first seen in the background of the level Stormy Shore sinking a Scurvy Crew's ship. After it is done with, though, it attacks the Kongs with its spiky tentacles in all the rest of the level. The Kongs first have to jump over them, but when they are climbing grassy surfaces, it will put its tentacles in the way so that they have to jump back and forth between the other surfaces. After that, it will wave its tentacles back and forth above pits, where the primates have to jump over them. The Kongs also must use grassy surfaces above the ground, where they have have to wait until its tentacle is low. At some points, Squiddicus also uses its tentacles to destroy floating platforms above the water. At the end of the level, the Kongs must fire out of a barrel cannon to reach the Slot Machine Barrel right above Squiddicus' head before the octopus' tentacle hits the primates.
The giant octopus makes its latest appearance in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze where it again attacks the Kongs throughout the level Irate Eight. It again uses its tentacles, but this time it also squirts black ink, which will take out the simians if they get encased inside of it. At the end of the level, the Kongs defeat the maniacal mollusk by being blasted into the chains holding the mines to make them fall on Squiddicus. After this, the giant octopus faints and sinks into the sea abyss.
- Squiddicus seems to be vaguely based on Bubbler the Octopus, a boss from Diddy Kong Racing.
- The octopus seems to be hostile to all, because, in Donkey Kong Country Returns, it sinks a Scurvy Crew's ship, group which was hypnotized and controlled by the Tiki Tak Tribe. If this theory is correct, Squiddicus is not affiliated with any group, tribe or whatsoever.
- In the Cliff level Boulder Roller from Donkey Kong Country Returns, there is a fossilized skeleton of another octopus that resembles Squiddicus (see Gallery section above). It seems to suggest that Squiddicus is from an ancient prehistoric species of octopus.
- The eye of the fossil of the octopus in the level moves to stare at the Kongs when they pass nearby. This suggests it is not dead, but also partially alive, like many skeleton/fossil enemies in the same world.
- It is also unknown whether the octopus encountered by the Kongs in the games is the last alive member of Squiddicus' species, due to its probable prehistoric origin and extinction.
- In Donkey Kong Country Returns, Squiddicus survives the encounter with the Kongs because the heroes did not (and cannot) attack it. That way, it is the same octopus that appeared in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. In its latest appearance, it gets defeated by the Kongs, and then sinks into the depths of the ocean. It is unknown if Squiddicus survived or not after its defeat in this "rematch".
- Despite the fact that it is not a real boss, the mollusk can be considered a mini-boss for its role in the games.