|Music Theme(s)||Quiet Quarry, Rickety Rails|
|Notable Feature(s)||This mine cart level features many falling or tilting tracks, demanding good reaction to jump off to the next mine cart or barrel cannon.|
|Enemies Encountered||Tiki Goons, Blue Squeeklies|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)
Rickety Rails is the twentieth-sixth level in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, as well as the first level in the Cave world of Donkey Kong Island. It is preceded by Ruined Roost and followed by Grip 'n' Trip.
This level possesses many fragile platforms crumbling off after step on. There are also mine cart tracks will fall off or tilt, demanding good reaction from the player to jump off to the next mine cart or barrel cannon. The level features mostly Blue Squeeklies as enemies.
Start by moving right down the slide and across the stone platform. Use the barrel cannon to shoot into the background. Go left and ground-pound nearby the big yellow flower to reveal another barrel cannon. Blast to the foreground once again and pound on the TNT switch to activate the TNT hookup in the background. The cave will start to break open. Use the barrel cannon to get to the background once again. Go left and jump into the tree hole to be shot out along the first Puzzle Piece. Go back right into the cave. Continue into the cave going past Tiki Goons, ground-pounding nearby plants and blowing on lanterns for items. Once you reach the three plank platforms going up, ignore them and walk right towards the wall. The rocks will fall revealing a hidden area and the second Puzzle Piece. After collect the Puzzle Piece, climb up the platforms and jump into the barrel cannon. You will be sent into another barrel and then finally a mine cart.
Jump to collect the banana trails and you will eventually be led to the letter "K". Jump to collect the letter and avoid a Blue Squeekly. Soon after, jump off your mine cart into a series of barrel cannons. You will land at the checkpoint. Move onto the fragile platforms in front of you and then below, head left into the hidden estrance to access a Bonus Room. In the room, use the moving and bouncy platform to collect all forty-four bananas and four Banana Coins within thirty seconds and reveal the third Puzzle Piece.
After the Bonus Room, continue going right quickly jumping across the fragile platforms as they will break very suddenly. Jump into the barrel cannon and blast onto another mine cart. Once you see the track being smashed by a giant crystal, be prepared to jump over the pit and a Blue Squeekly to collect the letter "O" and land back on the mine cart. Continue jumping from track to track and mine cart to mine cart. You will eventually reach a series of barrel cannons that take you into the background. Take the mine cart you blast into up the tilting track. After the second tilting track, you will be blasted to a fragile platform with the letter "N" above you. Get the letter quickly and jump into the barrel cannon. You will be sent back onto another mine cart.
After two series of mine carts you will end up on a few breaking platforms. The one at the bottom will break away to reveal an autofire barrel. Stand right in the middle so you fall right into it reaching a second Bonus Room. There, use many platforms to collect all eighty bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon within thirty seconds and make the fourth Puzzle Piece to appear. After the Bonus Room, go right and jump into the barrel cannon. Blast into the mine cart and then jump off into the barrel cannon and onto the left mine cart. Ride it until the end of current short track, ignore the autofire barrels, jump off to the left to reach a small platform and get the fifth and final Puzzle Piece. Quickly jump to the right and into the barrel cannon. Take the series of barrel cannons back to a mine cart. Once you see the drop downward, be ready to jump into a barrel cannon that will blast through the letter "G" and back into the mine cart. At the end of track, jump off the mine cart to get onto a solid platform. Jump into the Slot Machine Barrel to finish the level.
- Hearts: 1
- DK Barrels: 1
- Banana Coins: 14 (counts 4 in the first Bonus Room and 2 in the second Bonus Room, does not count three or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- Extra Life Balloons: 1 (counts 1 in the second Bonus Room, does not count eight or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- K: When the Kongs start out riding in the first mine cart, they come up to a trail of floating bananas in the air. The letter "K" is between the second trail. Jump to collect the letter and avoid a Blue Squeekly.
- O: After the checkpoint, a crystal falls and smashes part of the track. Immediately after the gap created from it, the Kongs must jump over it and a Blue Squeekly to collect the letter "O" in the air and land back on the mine cart.
- N: After the Kongs jump away from the section with two tilting tracks and many Blue Squeeklies, they can land on a fragile platform with the letter "N" on it. Quickly jump into the letter to collect it before the platform falls.
- G: After the fifth Puzzle Piece, when the heroes ride in the final mine cart, they can find a barrel cannon. As their mine cart heads down a small hill, they must jump into the barrel and blast through it to collect the letter "G".
- 1: At the beginning of the level, the Kongs can shoot into the background and head left into a hole in a large tree. They are immediately shot out of the hole through a barrel cannon when entered, along with the first Puzzle Piece.
- 2: Inside the cave, after the second Tiki Goon, if the Kongs go into the right wall in this area, they can reveal a hidden alcove with the Puzzle Piece.
- 3: Immediately after the checkpoint, the primates walk along a platform that falls apart with their weight. Under this fragile platform is an opening leading into a Bonus Room. Here, they must use a moving and bouncy platform to collect all forty-four bananas and four Banana Coins. Once all items are collected within thirty seconds, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- 4: After the letter "N", in the section where the primates break through a few wooden boards, they can reach the bottom of the area, where there is a platform that breaks apart with their weight on it. When the platform breaks, they can find a barrel cannon below and right in the middle that shoots them into a Bonus Room. Here, the heroes must collect all eighty bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon around many small platforms. Once all of the items are collected within thirty seconds, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- 5: After the second Bonus Room, the Kongs will ride two short mine cart tracks. At the end of the second track, they must ignore all autofire barrels and jump left to the small fragile platform nearby to collect the final Puzzle Piece.
The puzzle of Rickety Rails is of a strawberry against a light green background. When all of the pieces are found, the Stu artwork will be added to the Boss Gallery of the Image Gallery in the Extras menu.
Time Attack Medals
- Shiny Gold: 01:23.00
- Gold: 01:26.00
- Silver: 01:36.00
- Bronze: 01:45.00