|Mario Kart 64|
North American boxart of Mario Kart 64 for Nintendo 64.
|Platform(s):||Nintendo 64, Virtual Console|
|Release Date:||Nintendo 64|
December 14, 1996
February 10, 1997
June 24, 1997
January 8, 1998
January 25, 2007
January 29, 2007
January 30, 2007
|Ratings||ESRB: Kids to Adults|
|Media||Nintendo 64 Game Pak, Downloadable Media (Nintendo eShop)|
|Input||Nintendo 64 Controller|
Mario Kart 64 (マリオカート64, Mario Kāto Rokujūyon) is a Mario racing game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 64 video game console. It is the successor to Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and is the second game in the Mario Kart series. It was released first in Japan on December 14, 1996 and in North America and Europe in 1997. In January 2007, it was released as a downloadable Virtual Console title on the Nintendo Wii.
Characters present in the game as racers are:
- It is the first game to feature Donkey Kong as a racer in the Mario Kart series, becoming a permanent character in all following titles.
- In the Toad's Turnpike course, a highway track full of cars and trucks, there is a yellow bus. The silhouette of the driver's seat at the lateral window resembles Diddy Kong.
- Mario Kart 64 on Mario Kart Racing Wiki
- Mario Kart 64 on Mario Wiki
- Mario Kart 64 on Super Mario Wiki