|Music Theme(s)||Tree Top Rock Returns (or Longshot Launch)|
|Notable Feature(s)||In the level, most of traversal is made by using barrel cannons. There are many wooden statues that the Kongs must go through their mouths at the right moment to progress. The level is also the first one to feature Shroom Chomp as enemy and bouncy platform.|
|Enemies Encountered||Tiki Boings, Skittlers, Shroom Chomp, Flaming Tiki Buzzes, Tiki Zings|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)
Longshot Launch is the thirtieth-seventh level in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, as well as the fifth level in the Forest world of Donkey Kong Island. It is preceded by Tippin' Totems and followed by Springy Spores.
This level is set in a forest where barrel cannons are the only way to move from one place to another. The bulk of the level uses barrel cannons to reach higher and farther places. Some of these barrel cannons are stationary while others move erratically. Towards the middle of the level, the Kongs have to time their cannon blasts as there are now wooden statues they have to fly through their mouths. If they hit one, they bounce right off and fall to their doom. Some of the barrels fire the Kongs long distances across the forest. There is also a giant statue with moving teeth that can easily crush the primates. This level is the first one to feature a Shroom Chomp.
The level begins on a flat pathway with some yellow plants and a DK Barrel on it. Ignore it, go left and fall down over the Banana Coin in the pit to find a barrel cannon. Blast towards some autofire barrels to get bananas and the first Puzzle Piece. After landing on a flat area with some yellow Skittlers and a Tiki Boing, go left and bounce off an enemy to reach a barrel cannon below a canopy and get the second Puzzle Piece. Going to right, a Shroom Chomp is located in a gap just after some helicopter plants. If the Kongs bounce on the red protuberance before the green Chomp eats them, they can reach a barrel cannon above it that they can use to travel upwards (if eaten, the primates just need to pound the Shroom Chomp to get out). With two other barrels that move horizontally at a quick pace when entered, the heroes can make it to another barrel cannon with a Flaming Tiki Buzz next to it. The cannon moves them horizontally to another barrel with a Flaming Tiki Buzz next to it. The letter "K" of the K-O-N-G Letters is right above this barrel, and an additional barrel cannon is placed in the air at the end of its horizontal path. This cannon moves diagonally, along with the two barrels after it. In the second diagonal barrel cannon is possible to notice a Puzzle Piece well-hidden by a canopy. The Kongs must blast into it at the right moment to get the third Puzzle Piece. Now the primates will be blasted towards some bouncy and red flowers growing on the sides of giant tree-like structures. The flowers are angled so that they soon bounce to the ground below, which is flat and solid. Tiki Boings and some yellow plants are in this area. Going left and falling down in the pit, there is a hidden bouncy flower and an area below where the heroes can find the fourth Puzzle Piece surrounded by bananas in the middle. If the Kongs also pound on the flat and circular panel, they can to access another hidden area with more yellow plants. The yellow plant on the right possesses the fifth Puzzle Piece. After get it, the heroes must pound on the center to reveal a small and bouncy mushroom to get out. The other small mushroom outside will take the Kongs back to beginning of this section.
When the heroes pass through this part of the level, they come to a barrel cannon. The cannon shoots them to a nearby solid platform with a plant growing on it. A barrel cannon is in a gap next to the platform that moves back and forth horizontally quickly. Two Tiki Zings are in the Kongs' way as they try to aim for the above platform in this barrel. With good aim, they can collect the letter "O" and reach the higher platform safely if they shoot between the foes. Another barrel cannon is next to this platform. It blasts the heroes upwards while moving in a horizontal path. With two similar barrels, the Kongs can reach a stationary barrel cannon high up that can blast them far through the air. The primates fly at a fast speed through a large portion of the forest, landing in an autofire barrel that then fires them onto a solid platform, where the Tutorial Pig and the checkpoint are located.
A Tiki Boing and another barrel cannon are after the checkpoint. The barrel cannon can move in a vertical path to shoot the Kongs to a barrel cannon ahead. A strange and wooden statue is between the two cannons that they must blast through its mouth to progress. The primates must continue to shoot through vertically-moving barrel cannons while blasting through wooden statues' mouths to progress. The wooden statues in this section cannot crush the heroes. Once they reach a barrel cannon that moves in a diagonal path, they are able to shoot between one more wooden statues to land in another barrel cannon that can pull them into an additional cannon. Like the barrel cannon before and the ones following it, this barrel cannon moves in a diagonal path, blasting them to the next cannon while shooting them through a wooden statue. The final diagonally-moving barrel can shoot them past three consecutive wooden statues so they can enter another barrel cannon that travels vertically again. They can use this cannon to reach some more barrel cannons ahead, which have bananas and other collectibles between them, including the letter "N". Careful timing is necessary to get the letter, because if the heroes miss it, the entire level will need to be restarted for another attempt to get the letter. Eventually, they can reach the last vertically-moving barrel cannon in the area that can fire them through another wooden statue to reach a stationary barrel cannon. This cannon shoots the heroes forwards at a fast speed. The Kongs travel far ahead through the forest all the way to an autofire barrel that fires them to a large and red flower on a solid platform. The flower safely bounces them onto the solid platform, where the Tutorial Pig and another checkpoint are located.
Stair-like platforms ahead of here lead to a DK Barrel. Tiki Boings and some yellow Skittlers run all around this area. The primates can reach a slightly lower platform after the DK Barrel with a few more Skittlers descending over it. In this section, the Kongs must pound on the flat and circular panel to access a hidden Bonus Room. There, they must use a moving and bouncy platform to collect all ninety-nine bananas and three Banana Coins within thirty seconds and the sixth Puzzle Piece will appear. After the Bonus Room, going past the yellow Skittlers, some barrel cannons can be viewed in the gap ahead. The stationary barrels can be used to progress over the large gap. The barrel cannons are automatically aimed to the cannon following it in this area, so the heroes only need to worry about shooting at the right moment, as there are wooden statues all along the area that now open and close their mouths at regular intervals. The Kongs must try to blast past the openings, however, if they run into the closed mouths, they lose a life and go back to the previous checkpoint immediately.
After the heroes shoot past the first three of these opening and closing mouths, they reach a few autofire barrels that shoot them between the previous two obstacles and then into a tilting barrel cannon. This cannon tilts at certain angles, changing its aim every second. The Kongs must blast out of the barrel as it aims above the wooden statue ahead to progress and get the letter "G". After they fall past the letter, they land in a stationary barrel that aims them towards some autofire barrels. They must blast through these barrels as the pair of statues' mouths in their path open. Once they blast through barrel cannons away from these statues, they land in a cannon near to another cannon and a giant statue that takes up almost the whole screen. They must shoot to the next autofire barrel to blast through its open and moving teeth with good timing to pass it. When they do so, they enter another autofire barrel that finally shoots them onto a solid platform with the level's Slot Machine Barrel on it. Ignore it, drop down to the left to find a yellow plant containing the seventh and final Puzzle Piece. After get it, the Kongs must hit the Slot Machine Barrel and the level will be completed.
- Tiki Boing: 5
- Skittler: 7 (yellow type)
- Shroom Chomp: 1
- Flaming Tiki Buzz: 2
- Tiki Zing: 2 (regular size)
- Hearts: 1
- DK Barrels: 2
- Banana Coins: 9 (counts 3 in the Bonus Room, does not count three or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- K: If the heroes shoot out of the barrel cannon immediately after the second Flaming Tiki Buzz in the level, they can reach the letter "K", which is to the left and above of the following barrel cannon. The letter can be reached by shooting this barrel at the right moment.
- O: After the fourth and fifth Puzzle Pieces and before the first checkpoint, the Kongs get into a barrel cannon that they must use to blast between two Tiki Zings. The letter "O" is between these foes and can be collected by using good timing to shoot the barrel.
- N: After the first checkpoing and near the end of the first section that involves the primates blasting through wooden statues' mouths, the letter "N" can be seen between two barrel cannons, along with a trail of bananas. The Kongs must use good timing to blast from the barrel and get the letter. If the heroes miss the letter, it will be necessary to restart the entire level for another attempt to get it.
- G: Not too long after the second checkpoint, the Kongs enter the only tilting barrel cannon in the level. They must use it to shoot upwards at an angle over a nearby wooden statue. The letter "G" is above the statue that they can get.
- 1: The Kongs must jump towards a Banana Coin in the gap to the left of them at the beginning of the level. They will land in a hidden barrel cannon that shoots them to some autofire barrels. The barrels shoot them past some bananas and also into the first Puzzle Piece.
- 2: A barrel cannon can be seen high in the air near the beginning of the level. The Kongs must bounce on a nearby Tiki Boing or yellow Skittler to reach it. The barrel can shoot them into the canopy, where a Puzzle Piece is present.
- 3: After the letter "K", when the primates shoot through the barrel cannons that move in a diagonal path, in the second diagonal barrel cannon, they must notice a Puzzle Piece well-hidden behind the canopy. They can shoot to it to get the Puzzle Piece.
- 4: After the third Puzzle Piece and the primates finish bouncing off of the first set of large and red flowers, they must go past the Tiki Boing and head left off in the pit to land on a hidden bouncy flower below that can bounce them in an area with a Puzzle Piece surrounded by bananas in the middle.
- 5: The heroes must pound on the flat and circular panel directly under the fourth Puzzle Piece to land in a hidden alcove. Two yellow plants are in here. If they ground-pound nearby the plant to the right, it releases a Puzzle Piece.
- 6: Shortly after the second checkpoint, in the section with some yellow Skittlers, Donkey and Diddy Kong can see a flat and circular panel on the ground of a large platform. If they pound on it, they fall into a Bonus Room. In the room, they must use a moving and bouncy platform to collect all ninety-nine bananas and three Banana Coins. If they collect everything there within thirty seconds, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- 7: The heroes must ignore the Slot Machine Barrel at the end of the level and drop down to a hidden platform following it to find a yellow plant. If they ground-pound close by it, a Puzzle Piece is revealed.
The puzzle of Longshot Launch is of a cherry against a light yellow background. When all of the pieces are found, the Tiki Tank artwork will be added to the Tiki Gallery of the Image Gallery in the Extras menu.
Time Attack Medals
- Shiny Gold: 00:59.00
- Gold: 01:01.00 (01:06.00 in the Japanese version)
- Silver: 01:34.00 (01:19.00 in the Japanese version)
- Bronze: 01:37.00