Kutlass' artwork from the game Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES.
|Powers/Abilities||Walking back and forward, patrolling certain areas, |
Holding two large swords upright, protecting against jump and roll attacks from enemies,
Noticing and quickly pursuing enemies nearby,
Swinging two large swords against enemies
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (for SNES) (1995)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2 (for GBA) (2004)|
Kutlasses wear pirate hats with a large red feather in them, as well as a black vest. They also carry twin swords, which are too big for them. The instruction booklet of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System game version humorously says that the Kutlass ordered them off of an infomercial and that they looked smaller on television.
Though the swords are the strengths of Kutlasses, capable of protecting them against jump and roll attacks, they can also be their weakness. When the Kongs come near, they will quickly run towards the primates and swing the swords downward with such force that the weapons get stuck in the ground. It leaves them open to any attacks briefly.
In the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 2, even when their swords are up, Kutlasses can still be defeated by the player using the team-up move to throw the secondary Kong against them. It is no longer possible in the Game Boy Advance of the same game. In the same game version, if the player is able to make the Kutlasses notice the Kongs, and quickly jump over them before they swinging their swords, the Kutlasses will keep running towards the same direction until hitting a obstacle or falling into a pit.
Initially, Diddy and Dixie Kong will meet Kutlasses sporting a yellow/light green color. In later stages of the game, a green version of Kutlasses is encountered. These Kutlasses are faster to attack and can also pull their swords out of the ground faster. Both types are easily defeated by throwing a barrel, crate or treasure chest at them or using Animal Buddies' projectile attacks, such as Squitter the Spider's webs.
- According to the game credits in Donkey Kong Country 2, Kutlasses belong to the "Kremling Kuthroats" enemy category.
- Kutlass' name is based on the cutlass, a kind of sword commonly used by pirates. That appears to be the same kind of swords the enemy uses in Donkey Kong Country 2.
- Kutlasses are very similar in appearance to Klanks, small Kremlings that ride Skull Carts in the same game. However, Klanks do not carry swords and they appear in multiple colors through Donkey Kong Country 2.
- Kutlasses are one of the few enemies to not reappear in the game Donkey Kong Land 2.
- In the Donkey Kong Country animated series, there is a character also named Kutlass. The character, along Green Kroc, is also a pirate and a minion of the Kaptain Skurvy.
- Kutlasses also slightly resemble Bazukas and Kopters, both small enemies from the games Donkey Kong Country 3 and Donkey Kong Land III.
- Koshas, small enemies carrying large spiked clubs from the game Donkey Kong 64, bear some resemblance to Kutlasses because both enemy types carry weapons too big for their sizes.
- KUTLASS: "Kutlass mail-ordered his razor-sharp swords from a TV offer. They turned out to be a little bigger than they looked on his small screen. Excellent!"
—Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest Instruction Booklet, page 31 on Games Database
- Cutlass on Wikipedia
|Bazuka | Big Klaptrap | Congazuma | "Dragon" | General Klump | Green Kroc | Junior the Giant Klaptrap | K. Lumsy | Kaboing | Kaboom | Kackle | Kannon | Kasplat | Kalypso | Kaptain Skurvy | Kass | Kerozene | King K. Rool | Kip | Klump | Klubba | Kludge | Klampon | Klank | Klaptrap | Klasp | Klinger | Kloak | Klobber | Klomp | Knocka | Kobble | Koin | Koindozer | Kopter | Kosha | Krash | Krimp | Kritter | Kritter-in-a-Sheet | Krobot | Krochead | Krook | Krossbones | Krosshair | Krumple | Krunch | Kruncha | Krusha | Kuchuka | Kudgel | Kuff 'n' Klout | Kutlass (DKC 2) | Kutlass (DKC TV series) | Mega AMP | "Mr. X" | Re-Koil | Resident Demon | Robo-Kritter | Rockkroc | Shroom Kritter | Skidda | TNT Knocka | "Toyface"|