|Grip 'n' Trip|
|Music Theme(s)||Regal Railway, Mine Cart Cruise|
|Notable Feature(s)||In this level, there are many flying enemies over its tracks demanding careful timing to jump and bounce off these enemies, not falling off the moving mine carts. Automated steam trains carrying platforms with grassy turf are also present for the Kongs to cling.|
|Enemies Encountered||Tiki Buzzes|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)|
Grip 'n' Trip (or Grip & Trip) is the twentieth-seventh level in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, as well as the second level in the Cave world of Donkey Kong Island. It is preceded by Rickety Rails and followed by Bombs Away.
This level possesses many flying enemies over its tracks. These only consist of Tiki Buzzes. When riding mine carts, the level demands careful timing from the player to jump and bounce off these enemies, and not fall off the current mine carts. There are some steam trains moving on tracks above the mine cart tracks. These automated trains carry platforms with turf below for the Kongs to cling onto. At some sections, the primates need to pick between riding mine carts and cling on these train platforms to avoid obstacles and collect items.
Move right and jump onto the higher stone ledge. Jump and cling onto the turf of the ceiling and move right, pounding on the plant to get a banana bunch. Throw the DK Barrel if needed and jump into the barrel cannon. Blast into a mine cart and follow the track down. When the track splits, jump to the mine cart on the higher track to collect a few bananas and Banana Coins. Close to the end, jump over the track partition to avoid crashing, collect the first Puzzle Piece and fall right into another mine cart. Follow the track jumping over the first Tiki Buzz.
You will soon reach another two Tiki Buzzes. Jump and bounce on one of them to collect an Extra Life Balloon. After jumping on the next mine cart, keep going down the track and jump into the autofire barrel to collect the letter "K" and land back on the mine cart. Follow the track, and after jumping over a Tiki Buzz, do not jump over the pit to next mine cart. Jump and fall downward into a barrel cannon barely seen below the screen to reach a Bonus Room. In the room, using the moving barrel cannon, collect all fifty-seven bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon within thirty seconds to reveal the second Puzzle Piece. After the Bonus Room, the mine cart will go down the track. Jump at the trail of bananas that appear. Soon after that, jump onto the next Tiki Buzz and bounce towards the third Puzzle Piece, while trying to land back on the mine cart. Continue down the track jumping over Tiki Buzzes until the track ends.
Jump onto the turf-covered ceiling and climb over to the left to next mine cart. Soon after you start riding, you will see another mine cart above you. At the right moment, jump into it to be led into the letter "O". Jump into the trail of bananas to collect the letter and get ready to fall back into one of the mine carts, and then quickly jump and cling to the following grassy turf on the ceiling. Go left until reach a turf-covered platform carried by an automated steam train above, which will start to move. The train will move down the track and crash eventually, dropping the Kongs at the checkpoint. Ground-pound nearby the plant to the left to reveal the fourth Puzzle Piece.
Continue going right past the DK Barrel, bouncing on some red and large mushrooms, until finally reaching and clinging onto another train platform with turf. Going down the track and before the steam crashes, follow the trail of bananas and drop down onto the next mine cart. You will soon see another steam train moving above. Before the mine cart crashing on some obstacles, jump onto the platform with turf and cling on it until you see Tiki Buzzes. With good timing, drop down after two Tiki Buzzes, collecting the letter "N" and then landing into another mine cart. Ride the mine cart right into the fifth and final Puzzle Piece and then jump across the pit into another mine cart. Jump into the third mine cart and continue to ride it until the end of this track section. Just before the mine cart falls down on the next track section, use a long jump to bounce on top of a Tiki Buzz and reach an autofire barrel. You will be blasted into another barrel cannon and into a mine cart in the background. Ride two mine carts to collect many bananas and Banana Coins and, at the end, jump high to collect the letter "G" and fall into another autofire barrel. The barrel cannon will blast you into another one and back to another mine cart in the foreground. Jump off the mine cart onto the solid platform and hit the Slot Machine Barrel to complete the level.
- Tiki Buzz: 15 (regular type)
- DK Barrels: 2
- Banana Coins: 6 (counts 2 in the Bonus Room, does not count three or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- Extra Life Balloons: 2 (counts 1 in the Bonus Room, does not count eight or more consecutive jumps on enemies)
- K: After the first Puzzle Piece, an autofire barrel is above the track following the one with an Extra Life Balloon over some Tiki Buzzes. The barrel shoots the heroes to the letter "K" if they jump into it, taking you back to the mine cart the Kongs were stationed in.
- O: Shortly after the third Puzzle Piece, there is turf at the top of a ceiling near a trio of Tiki Buzzes. The primates need to climb along it to cross a gap. When you get in the mine cart at the other end of the abyss, you may can notice another track above the Kongs. You must jump to the mine cart to ride towards the letter "O" floating in the air at the end of this track.
- N: After the checkpoint, the Kongs are forced to cling onto the turf-covered platform carried by a steam train on the track above them to avoid running into some partitions while in their mine cart track below. Shortly after the mine cart explodes due to running into the obstacles, you are pulled towards some Tiki Buzzes. The letter "N" is after two Tiki Buzzes. With good timing, you must drop over the letter to collect it, and land on the following mine cart found below.
- G: After the fifth Puzzle Piece and when riding the third mine cart after some Tiki Buzzes, you must jump high from the vehicle at the end of the current track, and carefully bounce on top of the next Tiki Buzz to reach an autofire barrel. The barrel cannon shoots them into another one that shoots them into another mine cart in the background. In this background area, there are two track sections covered in collectibles with an autofire barrel placed between them. You must travel across this area to reach the letter "G". At the end of the second track section, you must then jump to collect the letter and land into another autofire barrel that shoots you back into the foreground.
- 1: The Kongs can find a separated track above them as they ride on level's second mine cart. They need to jump on the mine cart of the top one, where they can find banana bunches and Banana Coins. Close to the end of the track, the primates must jump over a partition to collect the Puzzle Piece and land on the next mine cart.
- 2: Shortly after getting the letter "K", there are more track sections separated by pits. After jump over a Tiki Buzz, there is a barrel cannon barely seen below the screen inside the abyss, which takes the Kongs to a Bonus Room. There, they must shoot through a moving barrel cannon in order to collect fifty-seven bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon within thirty seconds and make a Puzzle Piece to appear.
- 3: The Kongs must jump and bounce off the first Tiki Buzz after the Bonus Room to reach the third Puzzle Piece high in the air and try to land back on the mine cart.
- 4: The Kongs must ground-pound nearby the plant to the left of the checkpoint to make a Puzzle Piece appears.
- 5: Just after dropping down to collect the letter "N" and riding on the mine cart after it, there is a Puzzle Piece following a banana trail at the end of the current track section.
The puzzle of Grip 'n' Trip is of a strawberry against a light green background. When all of the pieces are found, the Tiki Pop artwork will be added to the Critters 2 Gallery of the Image Gallery in the Extras menu.
Time Attack Medals
- Shiny Gold: 01:33.00
- Gold: 01:34.00
- Silver: 01:37.00
- Bronze: 01:39.00
- In some Nintendo Wii copies and Nintendo 3DS version, this level is called Grip & Trip instead of Grip 'n' Trip.