Dumb Drum's artwork from the game Donkey Kong Country.
|World(s)||Kremkroc Industries, Inc.|
|Residence(s)||Boss Dumb Drum|
|Affiliation(s)||Kremling Krew, |
King K. Rool
|Powers/Abilities||Dropping over and stomping enemies, |
Spawning regular allies
|Enemies||Kong Family, |
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country (for SNES) (1994)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country (for GBA) (2003)|
Dumb Drum is the mechanical boss of the Kremkroc Industries, Inc. world of the Donkey Kong Island, as well as the fifth boss in the game Donkey Kong Country. It is a bigger version of Oil Drums, drum enemies sporting skull and crossbones that also spawn regular enemies. The boss resides in the stage Boss Dumb Drum, preceded by the stage Blackout Basement in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Game Boy Color versions of the game, or preceded by the stage Mine Cart Madness in the Game Boy Advance version of the same game.
Boss Dumb Drum stage
As soon as entering the stage, the boss battle will start by Dumb Drum dropping down from the top of the screen, trying to stomp and harm the Kongs. The player must avoid touching the boss during this attack. This battle is unique from other boss battles in that it actually contains regular enemies. In fact, Dumb Drum's attack pattern is to drop down very fast, spawn two of an enemy type and repeat, with tougher enemies and dropping down more times after each phase. The player must defeat the enemies to progress the boss battle.
- Dumb Drum will spawn two Kritters first.
- Next, it will drop two Slippas.
- Then, two Klaptraps.
- After, two Klumps.
- The last consists of two Armies.
In the SNES and GBC versions of the game, after the player disposing the last of the minions, Dumb Drum will be defeated and will break apart. This makes this boss somewhat odd in that the player never has to directly attack it.
However, in the GBA version of the same game, after the player defeating two enemies during each phase, Dumb Drum will resume its stomping attack and a TNT Barrel will appear on the arena. The player must pick the barrel up and throw it at the boss in order to harm Dumb Drum. Unlike the SNES and GBC game versions, the boss will keep using the stomping attack until defeating both primates or being harmed by an explosive barrel. Dumb Drum will be defeated after receiving five hits from TNT Barrels thrown at it.
After Dumb Drum is defeated, the player can access the world Chimp Caverns.
Super Nintendo Entertainment System version
Game Boy Color version
Game Boy Advance version
- In an early version of the game Donkey Kong Country for SNES, Dumb Drum's stage is shown to be different, as it is apparently set in a jungle terrain.
- In the GBA version of the game Donkey Kong Country, Cranky Kong's commentary after Dumb Drum being defeated (see Videos section above) seems to imply that King K. Rool, or specifically Baron K. Roolenstein, would build the robot KAOS later during the events of the game Donkey Kong Country 3.
- BOSS DUMB DRUM: "This major baddie is unlike any other enemy on the entire island. It's a mechanical (sort of) beast. A giant skull and crossbones is painted on its side. This is a warning and should not be taken lightly! Dumb Drum, while having no apparent functional eyes, can sense where you are in its lair and will try to oust you by landing on your head. Don't let Dumb Drum get the best of you! Your bananas are much too important."
—Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide, Nintendo, 1994, page 104 on Wayback Machine
- Dumb Drum defeated on Rareware (saved on Wayback Machine)
|Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Land Series Bosses|
|Donkey Kong Country||Very Gnawty • Master Necky • Queen B. • Really Gnawty • Dumb Drum • Master Necky Snr. • King K. Rool|
|Donkey Kong Land||Wild Sting • Colossal Clambo • Hard Hat • King K. Rool|
|Donkey Kong Country 2||Krow • Kleever • Kudgel • King Zing • Kreepy Krow • Kerozene (GBA only) • Kaptain K. Rool|
|Donkey Kong Land 2||Krow • Kleever • King Zing • Kaptain K. Rool|
|Donkey Kong Country 3||Belcha • Arich • Squirt • KAOS • Bleak • Kroctopus (GBA only) • Barbos • Baron K. Roolenstein|
|Donkey Kong Land III||Barbos • Bleak • Arich • KAOS • Baron K. Roolenstein|
|Donkey Kong Country Returns (3D)||Mugly (Krazy Kalimba) • Scurvy Crew (The Maraca Gang) • Stu (Gong-Oh) • Mole Miner Max (Banjo Bottom) • Mangoruby (Wacky Pipes) • Thugly (Xylobone) • Colonel Pluck (Cordian) • Tiki Tong|
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||Pompy • Skowl • Ba-Boom • Fugu • Bashmaster • Lord Fredrik|
|Transportation||Biplane • Bonus • Booster • Cannon • Diddy & Dixie • Funky • Ghost • Golden • Rocket • Rotatable • Steerable • Style • Tracker • Warp • Yellow Launcher|
|Projectiles||DK • Steel Keg • TNT • Vine • Wooden|
|Enemies||Belcha • Dumb Drum • Kaboom • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kracka • Kuchuka • Oil Drum|
|Player Status||Animal • Invincibility • Kong • Plus and Minus • Star • Tag|
|Other Status||Check and X • Krochead • On & Off • Stop & Go • Switch|
|Fuel||Fuel • Ignition • Oil|
|Miscellaneous||? • Cranky's Training Barrel • Mega TNT • Shield|