|Donkey Kong Barrel Blast|
North American boxart of Donkey Kong Barrel Blast for Wii.
|Release Date:|| June 28, 2007 |
October 28, 2007
January 25, 2008
February 7, 2008
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer (2)|
|Media||Wii Optical Disc|
|Input||Wii Remote and Nunchuk|
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, known in Europe and Australia as Donkey Kong Jet Race, and in Japan as Donkey Kong Barrel Jet Race (ドンキーコング たるジェットレース, Donkī Kongu Taru Jetto Rēsu), is a Donkey Kong racing game developed by Paon for the Nintendo Wii and released by Nintendo on June 28, 2007. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast is a fast-paced racing game, where the Kongs and Kremlings race around long tracks located on DK island. Many Kongs and Kremlings from older games were redesigned, while retaining their signature attributes. Notably, Tiny Kong and Klump are exceptions.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Jungle Grand Prix
- 3 Other Modes
- 4 Playable Characters
- 5 Helpers
- 6 Enemies
- 7 Bananas
- 8 Items
- 9 Barrels
- 10 Critical Reception
- 11 Trivia
In order to accelerate, the Wii Remote and Nunchuk must be shaken together, and to jump, players need to raise the Wii Remote and Nunchuk upwards. Characters are able to attack each other by attacking with the "A" button. One can also use a Wild move by pushing down on the control stick and releasing it. A wild move gives the player a boost and allows them to ram enemies, obstacles and other players. There are also many barrels scattered throughout the courses. By pressing A, the player can punch/scratch the barrels open to gain bananas, which 50 of are needed to charge a Wild move. By charging into barrels, obstacles, or other players, the duration of a wild move gets increased drastically.
Every character also has different stats, with the three being boost, speed, and agility. Ultra Barrel DK has the best stats, scoring 5 stars in every category.
Jungle Grand Prix
The Jungle Grand Prix is the main mode of the game. The player must race in three or more courses in a row. Winners are determined by rankings in the courses. There are four official cups: the Topaz Cup, Sapphire Cup, Diamond Cup, and Platinum Cup. Three difficulty levels can be chosen: Rookie, Pro, and Expert. Beating each cup will gives the player a trophy.
- Open Ocean
- Mt. Dynamite Remix
- Parched Palace
- Cranky's Temple
- Dynamite Run
- DK Jungle Sunset
- Alpine Peak
- Temple Heights
- Cosmic Highway
The player selects 2-5 courses to race on. No trophy is awarded in this cup.
The game randomly selects 2-5 courses to race on. No trophy is awarded in this cup.
- Single Race: Players can choose one course to race in.
- Time Trial: Players race on a single course to get the best time. Ghost Data is saved on here.
- Free Run: Players can choose a course to race on with no competitors or time limit.
- Cranky's Flight School: The tutorial part of the game.
- Candy's Challenges
- Records: This is where players can look at records and status.
- Options: This is where players can turn items in the game on or off in Single Race and Jungle Grand Prix, change the button settings, the hand to play on (left or right), and check the controls.
The character roster is divided into two groups: Kong and Kremling. Each Kong (except Ultra Barrel Donkey Kong) share the same stats with a Kremling and vice versa, i.e. Donkey Kong and Kritter both having balanced boost, speed, and agility.
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Dixie Kong
- Lanky Kong: Unlockable by clearing the Topaz Cup with a Kong.
- Tiny Kong: Unlockable by clearing the Sapphire Cup with a Kong.
- Funky Kong: Unlockable by the Diamond Cup with a Kong.
- Wrinkly Kong: Unlockable by clearing Candy's Challenge 26.
- Cranky Kong: Unlockable by clearing Candy's Challenge 24.
- Ultra Barrel Donkey Kong: Unlockable by clearing all of Candy Kong's Challenges.
- Kopter: Unlockable by clearing the Topaz Cup with Kremling.
- Kalypso: Unlockable by clearing the Sapphire Cup with a Kremling.
- Kludge: Unlockable by clearing the Diamond Cup with a Kremling.
- Klump: Unlockable by clearing Candy's Challenge 16.
- King K. Rool: Unlockable by clearing Candy's Challenge 31.
- Rambi the Rhinoceros: Rambi will bash everything in his path, and players will get bananas for it.
- Enguarde the Swordfish: Like Rambi, Enguarde plows through all sorts of obstacles, and the player gets bananas from them.
In order to use either of them, the player must run into the box on the track with their picture. The box will either stay still or move back and forth in a line for players to catch.
Barrel Blast has enemies as well. They can be defeated in one hit unless said otherwise.
- Flip-Flap: a bat that flies around.
- Necky: a vulture that rams into anyone that gets to close to it.
- Zinger: a basic enemy that flies around the tracks.
- Chomps: a big shark in underwater parts of racetracks.
- Hurley: a weird-looking monkey that likes to throw bananas and barrels at the racers.
- Electric Fish: an electric fish that shocks racers.
- Big Frog: a big frog that is usually in groups. They use a strange breath attack to slow players down. Red ones breathe fire.
- Cyber Kong: A robotic DK look-alike that shoots lasers. One hit will defeat it. There is also a giant version of this that shoots multiple lasers and missiles, and cannot be defeated.
In order to perform a wild move, one must fill up a gauge with 50 bananas. If the player has a filled up gauge, another gauge will appear. Bananas can be found throughout the course.
Items are obtained by getting "?" balloons on the racetracks. Each Balloon is a certain color. Red Balloons represent the Kongs' team. The Blue Balloons represent the Kremlings' team. When the racer grabs their team's color balloon, the item's effect optimizes.
Red Balloon Items
- Prop Monkey: a toy version of Hurley that flies to the opponent in front of the user and tosses out some of their bananas. Last longer if used by a Kong.
- Squawks the Parrot: the green parrot from the Donkey Kong series. He flies to the opponent in front of the user and hovers around them, preventing them from doing Wild Moves (he will attack if they try). Lasts longer if used by a Kong.
- Quawks the Parrot: the purple parrot from the Donkey Kong series. He will fly all the way to the player in first place and attack them (however, this can be avoided by jumping or dodging before he attacks). If used by a Kong, the player that got hit will also lose some bananas.
- Banana Fairy: a glowing banana fairy. When used, it pulls in bananas from around the user. If used by a Kong, the effect will last longer.
- Blazing Banana: a banana on fire. When used, the player will put some of the flaming fruit on the track for opponents to run into. If used by a Kong, they will leave more behind.
- Tasty Melon: a melon that makes the user invincible. If used by a Kong, the effect lasts a little longer.
- Crystal Coconut: a crystal coconut that makes the user invincible and have unlimited Wild Moves.
Blue Balloon Items
- Mini-Necky: a miniature version of Necky. It will fly to the opponent behind the user and rams them. If used by a Kremling, the victim will also lose one Wild Move.
- Whirlwind: a small twister. It takes away bananas from all the racers and gives them to the user. If used by a Kremling, more bananas will be taken.
- Backward Barrel: a barrel that is thrown backwards by the user. It then turns into three barrels. If used by a Kremling, they will turn into TNT barrels.
- Mini-Zinger: a swarm of small Zingers that, when used, stays on a part of the track. Players that run into the swarm will be attacked, with their speed slowed down. The victim must accelerate to get rid of them. If used by a Kremling, the effect will last longer.
- Pineapple Launcher: a wooden bazooka that shoots pineapples. The user can shoot a pineapple at the opponent in front of them (but they can dodge it by jumping before it hits them). If used by a Kremling, two pineapples will be shot instead of one.
- Wild Elixir: a strange drink that gives the user an extra Wild Move. If used by a Kremling, it will be two extra Wild Moves.
- Mega TNT Barrel: a bigger TNT Barrel. Using it will have TNT Barrels dropped on all opponents, making them lose all of their Wild Moves, get their controls reversed, and not be able to use their items.
- Banana Bunch: a big bunch of bananas that. It gives the player 30 bananas when used.
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast features a variety of barrels. These barrels act like obstacles that can assist or hinder the player.
- Yellow Launcher Barrel: a Barrel Cannon that launches players that get sucked in it.
- Spinning Launcher Barrel: a Launcher Barrel that spins around when someone is in it. It then shoots them out at some kind of angle.
- Barrel: a regular barrel. Players can avoid them, jump over them, attack them (destroying it will give the player 5 bananas), or run into them (this reduces the player's speed and does not give them bananas). After being destroyed, these barrels will regenerate after a while.
- Iron Barrel: a metal barrel. Running into it will reduce the player's speed indefinitely. They can only be destroyed if the player is invincible or by an animal buddy. These barrels also regenerate after a while.
- TNT Barrel: a TNT Barrel that blows up when a player touches it. It will blow up the player and anything near it. They regenerate after a while
- Barrel Cannon: a Barrel Cannon that launches out smaller white barrels that spin around. The smaller barrels can be destroyed like normal ones.
- Style Barrel: a red Launcher Barrel. Players shot out of this will play a game. They must use the Wii Remote and point in specific directions to perform stylish moves. Each move performed correctly will give the player 10 bananas. Getting all four moves right will give the player 80 bananas.
The game received negative reviews due to poor controls and is considered the worst game in the series, although it retains a cult following.
- Some exclusive playable Kongs from the game Donkey Kong 64, such as Tiny Kong and Lanky Kong, make their return in this game.
|Donkey Kong series|
|Classic||Donkey Kong • Donkey Kong Jr. (Math) • Donkey Kong 3 • Donkey Kong '94|
|Mario vs. Donkey Kong||Mario vs. Donkey Kong • March of the Minis • Minis March Again! • Mini-Land Mayhem! • Minis on the Move • Tipping Stars • Amiibo Challenge|
|Donkey Kong Country||Donkey Kong Country • Diddy's Kong Quest • Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! • Returns (3D) • Tropical Freeze|
|Donkey Kong Land||Donkey Kong Land • Land 2 • Land III|
|DK||DK: King of Swing • DK: Jungle Climber|
|Single games||Donkey Kong 64 • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat|
|Racing games||Diddy Kong Racing (DS) • Diddy Kong Pilot • Donkey Kong Racing • Donkey Kong Barrel Blast|
|Donkey Konga||Donkey Konga • Donkey Konga 2 • Donkey Konga 3|
|Game & Watch||Donkey Kong Hockey • Donkey Kong Circus|
|Other games||Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers • Donkey Kong: Jungle Fever • Donkey Kong: Banana Kingdom|