|Diddy Kong Racing DS|
North American boxart of Diddy Kong Racing DS for DS.
|Release Date:|| February 5, 2007 |
April 19, 2007
April 20, 2007
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer|
|Media||DS Game Card|
|Input||DS Buttons, Touch Screen, Microphone|
Diddy Kong Racing DS is a racing game developed by Rare and released by Nintendo on February 5, 2007 for the Nintendo DS. It is both a remake and sequel of Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64 and released on the original game's tenth anniversary. It is Rare's first game for the DS and uses Nintendo Wi-Fi. It is also one of the last games Rare developed for Nintendo.
The gameplay remains relatively unchanged from its predecessor, with the exception of the Balloon Touch Challenge.
Nintendo DS Remake/Sequel Differences
Some of the Nintendo DS version of this game's differences include:
- Tiny Kong and Dixie Kong replaced Banjo and Conker, respectively.
- Tiny Kong's design has been changed to that of a young adult via her new redesign by Nintendo.
- Taj and Wizpig are now playable as well.
- The colors are not as bright as in the original game.
- The opening, credits and starting Adventure Mode change setting.
- The voice actors for all the characters changed with the exception of T.T.'s.
- Some Balloons are obtained or moved to different locations.
- The Silver Coin Challenge is taken out and replaced with the Balloon Touch Challenge (the Silver Coin Challenge exists as a buyable mode for twenty coins. To unlock DS Exclusive tracks in this mode the player must get gold on all Balloon Touch Challenges, this includes Adventure 2).
- The player can buy stuff with obtainable coins.
- To unlock T.T., the player must complete all Adventure 1 Time Trials, including the vehicles that are not normally used on each track (for example, the plane on Ancient Lake). The player does not need to have Adventure 2 unlocked, and he/she does not need the DS exclusive tracks unlocked.
- Instead of timing the start boost, the player either use his/her stylus or blow into the microphone (this does not apply for Taj's challenges as it is timing based on those).
- The keys have their own distinct features, with different shapes and colors instead of the same gold color.
- There are four new unlockable stages based on the Donkey Kong series: Thunder Cove, Meandering Mount, Splashdown Pass and Strangled Shrine.
- In the original game, it was possible to race on cars in Everfrost Peak due to being an ice track. This was changed in the DS version to where it become a water track, and it is no longer possible to race using cars.
|Donkey Kong series|
|Classic||Donkey Kong • Donkey Kong Jr. (Math) • Donkey Kong 3 • Donkey Kong '94|
|Mario vs. DK||Mario vs. Donkey Kong • March of the Minis • Minis March Again! • Mini-Land Mayhem! • Minis on the Move • Tipping Stars • Amiibo Challenge|
|Donkey Kong Country||Donkey Kong Country • Diddy's Kong Quest • Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! • Returns (3D) • Tropical Freeze|
|Donkey Kong Land||Donkey Kong Land • Land 2 • Land III|
|DK||DK: King of Swing • DK: Jungle Climber|
|Single games||Donkey Kong 64 • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat|
|Racing games||Diddy Kong Racing (DS) • Diddy Kong Pilot • Donkey Kong Racing • Donkey Kong Barrel Blast|
|Donkey Konga||Donkey Konga • Donkey Konga 2 • Donkey Konga 3|
|Game & Watch||Donkey Kong Hockey • Donkey Kong Circus|
|Other games||Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers • Donkey Kong: Jungle Fever • Donkey Kong: Banana Kingdom|