Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Land series
DK Barrels first appeared in Donkey Kong Country. Breaking one would summon a defeated Kong, making him/her playable. Other than freeing a hurt Kong, it functions somewhat like a Vine Barrel, where it smashes upon contact with anything, including the ground. However, there are aerial DK Barrels that break upon jumping contact in a Kong's inside. In the early DKC games, there are cheats to disable DK Barrels (along with Star Barrels) to increase the games difficulty.
The DK Barrel has been featured in mostly of the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land titles, including Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. In the New Mode of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, it is possible to purchase portable DK Barrels for five Banana Coins from Cranky Kong's Shop. They can be throw by using the Nintendo 3DS Touch Screen. In the multiplayer mode of both games, it is possible to expend an Extra Life Balloon and summon a dropping DK Barrel carrying a player's defeated character at any moment.
In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, there are no DK Barrels. However, there are DD, DX and CK barrels to throw and summon Diddy, Dixie and Cranky Kong, respectively, as playable characters or assist Kongs for Donkey Kong. These barrels can be found inside levels and can be also purchased from Funky Kong's Fly 'N' Buy shop. In some levels, there are some barrels that will circle through insignias before a player pick them up, allowing to choose which character to summon.
In Donkey Kong 64, Tag Barrels had a similar function to DK Barrels. Tag Barrels were used to switch between playable Kongs, for different Kongs were needed to collect all of the bananas, Banana Medals and Golden Bananas.
Other Nintendo's Franchises and Spinoffs
The DK Barrel has made various spinoff appearances since.
- In Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Donkey and Diddy Kong would emerge from a DK Barrel at the beginning of a battle. Also in Brawl, the DK Barrel is a sticker power-up, which does +53 Launch Power.
- In Mario Party 8, when a player steps on a "DK Space", Donkey Kong will appear by bursting out of a DK Barrel.
- A barrel with the DK insignia, the "Kong's Barrel", was one of many collectible treasures that Kirby discovered in "The Great Cave Offensive" mode of the games Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra. In-game, it is worth 1,500 G.
- In Nintendo Monopoly, the DK Barrel is the token representative for the Donkey Kong franchise.
- Donkey Kong Country (GBA)
- "Break one of these to keep the other Kong ready and waiting. He'll take over when your current Kong takes a hit, or you can press the L Button to swap them at any time."
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (GBA)
- "Here's where you'll find your partner if he or she isn't already by your side. If both characters are already in play, you won't be able to break this Barrel when it's in mid-air."
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (GBA)
- "Here's where you'll find your partner if they're not already with you. If you already have both Kongs, you won't be able to break the DK Barrels that float in mid-air."
|Transportation||Biplane • Bonus • Booster • Cannon • Diddy & Dixie • Funky • Ghost • Golden • Rocket • Rotatable • Steerable • Tracker • Warp|
|Projectiles||DK • Steel Keg • TNT • Vine • Wooden|
|Enemies||Belcha • Dumb Drum • Kaboom • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kracka • Kuchuka • Oil Drum|
|Player Status||Animal • Invincibility • Kong • Plus and Minus • Star • Style • Tag|
|Other Status||Check and X • Krochead • On & Off • Stop & Go • Switch|
|Fuel||Fuel • Ignition • Oil|
|Miscellaneous||? • Cranky's Training Barrel • Mega TNT • Shield|
|Items (excluding mostly Barrels)|
|General||Animal Crate • Animal Token • (Giant) Banana (Bunch) • Crate • Crystal Coconut • Crystal Star • End of Stage Target • Extra Life Balloon • Kannon • Kannonball • K-O-N-G Letters • No Animal Sign • Tire • Treasure Chest|
|Coins||Banana Coin • Bear Coin • Bonus Coin • DK Coin • Kremkoin • Kong Token • Nintendo Coin • Rareware Coin|
|Vehicles||Gyrocopter • Hover Craft • Mine Cart • Motor Boat • Rocket Barrel • Skull Cart • Toboggan • Turbo Ski|
|Shop||Banana Juice • DK Barrel (DD, DX & CK Barrels) • Extra Life Balloon • Heart Boost • Map Key • Squawks the Parrot|
|Others||Banana Fairy • Banana Medal • Boss Key • Cog • Crest • Golden Feather • Puzzle Piece • Rare Orb|
|Micellaneous||Brothers Bear Items (Bowling Ball • Mirror)|