The world map of Cliff as seen in the game Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii.
|Number of Stages||10|
|Boss(es)||Thugly (possessed by Xylobone)|
|Greater Location||Donkey Kong Island|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D|
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)|
|Adjacent World(s)||<< Donkey Kong Country Returns >> |
<< Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D >>
The Cliff is the sixth world of the Donkey Kong Island in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D with ten levels. The boss of this world is Thugly, and the Tiki Tak Tribe leader of this world is Xylobone.
The Cliff is an ancient giant mountain, with a desert-like terrain, that has some artificially made wooden platforms for access. The area has fossils of extinct sea creatures and dinosaur skeletons. There is also the presence of some ferocius and undead skeleton creatures. The rocky terrain is very frail due to its prehistoric age, and in some parts, can barely support the Kongs’ weight.
In Sticky Situation, the primates must use bone platforms dragged by tar falls to progress and avoid to sink into tar pits. In Prehistoric Path, a mine cart must be ridden over sinking tracks and maneuvered through platforms nesting giant eggs. In Weighty Way, the level's traversal is made by manipulating weight on platforms connected by pulley systems. In Boulder Roller, the Kongs must avoid many sizes of spiky boulders across the level. In Precarious Plateau, Rambi the Rhinoceros can assist the primates by destroying obstacles and advancing through enemies and crumbling platforms. In Crumble Canyon, most of the platforms will break apart or tilt, demanding the heroes to progress quickly. In Tippy Shippy, there are pieces of ship hulls over hills that will tilt by weight, and some cannon platforms and turf-covered surfaces to climb. And Clifftop Climb is a vertical level, where the Kongs must traverse upward quicky by using barrel cannons and crumbling platforms.
The boss level, Thugly's Highrise, is the lair of Thugly, a monster potential relative to Mugly, and with a fiery temper and even hotter breath. After dropping into his lair, the Kongs will notice Thugly occupied by eating bananas. Some airships with Tiki Tak Tribe members will soon arrive, and Xylobone will hypnotize and control the creature to attack the primates.
Note: Upon completing Crumble Canyon, the path to Thugly's Highrise will crumble (coincidently), and the Kongs must go to Tippy Shippy instead.
- 6-1 Sticky Situation
- 6-2 Prehistoric Path
- 6-3 Weighty Way
- 6-4 Boulder Roller
- 6-5 Precarious Plateau (level unlocked by buying the Map Key from Cranky Kong's Shop in this world for twenty Banana Coins (or ten coins in the 3DS version New Mode))
- 6-6 Crumble Canyon
- 6-7 Tippy Shippy
- 6-8 Clifftop Climb
- 6-B Thugly's Highrise
- 6-K Perilous Passage (secret Key Temple level unlocked by collecting all K-O-N-G Letters in this world)
- It is unknown why the skeletons of many prehistoric creatures have been resurrected, but it could have been a spell done to them by the Tiki Tak Tribe. However, this is only a theory and not initially speculated to be correct.
- Oddly, as opposed to most of the worlds in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, at the beginning of the initial level of the Cliff, Sticky Situation, there is no transition between the environments of this world and the previous one.
- In the level Boulder Roller, it is possible to see an octopus fossil in the background, resembling Squiddicus, and some extinct fossilized sea creatures near the said area, including ammonites. It can be speculated that the Cliff was originally the seabed of a prehistoric ocean.
- Despite having a strong presence of undead and dinosaur-like creatures, the boss Thugly is neither an undead nor a prehistoric animal.
- Coincidentally, in the game New Super Mario Bros. Wii for Nintendo Wii, the sixth world is based on a mountain, which could have been the inspiration for this area of Donkey Kong Island in the games Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.
|Donkey Kong Country Series Worlds|
|Donkey Kong Country||Kongo Jungle • Monkey Mines • Vine Valley • Gorilla Glacier • Kremkroc Industries, Inc. • Chimp Caverns • Gang-Plank Galleon|
|Donkey Kong Country 2||Gangplank Galleon • Crocodile Cauldron • Krem Quay • Krazy Kremland • Gloomy Gulch • K. Rool's Keep • The Flying Krock • Lost World|
|Donkey Kong Country 3||Lake Orangatanga • Kremwood Forest • Cotton-Top Cove • Mekanos • K3 • Razor Ridge • Pacifica (GBA only) • KAOS Kore • Krematoa|
|Donkey Kong Country Returns (3D)||Jungle • Beach • Ruins • Cave • Forest • Cliff • Factory • Volcano • Cloud (3DS only)|
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||Lost Mangroves • Autumn Heights • Bright Savannah • Sea Breeze Cove • Juicy Jungle • Donkey Kong Island • Secret Seclusion|