Chunky Kong's artwork from the game Donkey Kong 64 for Nintendo 64.
|Residence(s)||Donkey Kong Island|
|Family||Kiddy Kong (younger brother), |
Dixie Kong (older cousin),
Tiny Kong (older cousin)
|Powers/Abilities||Immense strength, |
|Enemies||Kremling Krew, |
King K. Rool
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong 64, |
Donkey Kong Country 3 (for GBA) (cameo)
|First Appearance||Donkey Kong 64 (1999)|
|Latest Appearance||Donkey Kong 64 (1999)|
Chunky Kong is a gorilla character from the game Donkey Kong 64 for Nintendo 64. As stated by the song in the game opening cutscene, the DK Rap, he is the biggest and strongest member of the Kong Family.
Chunky Kong is the older brother of Kiddy Kong, making him also Dixie's and Tiny's cousin.
In Donkey Kong 64, he (like Donkey Kong) speaks in third person since he does not seem very bright. He also does not seem to favor fighting unless he has to go protect others. Chunky Kong enjoys wrestling, butterflies, ballet, and playing the triangle.
Donkey Kong Country 3 for GBA
Chunky appears as a retroactive cameo in one of Funky's Rentals minigames in the Game Boy Advance version of the game Donkey Kong Country 3. Here, he is one of the Kongs that appear in the water and have to be protected from being taken away by boats with Kremlings on them.
Donkey Kong 64
In the game Donkey Kong 64, Chunky Kong is one of the Kongs captured by the Kremling Krew at the start of the game. Chunky is found in the Frantic Factory. He is rescued by Lanky Kong. Once Chunky is free, he can collect green bananas, green Banana Coins and green Blueprints.
Chunky Kong fights the boss of the Fungi Forest, which is a rematch with Dogadon. When he defeats the boss, Chunky gains one of the keys to K. Lumsy's cage. In Fungi Forest, he has to go through a Mine Cart ride in the well and collect at least fifty coins to get a Golden Banana, while having to open gates with green bells, and jump over trees and pillars.
During the final battle against King K. Rool, Chunky is the final Kong to go up against the Kremling King. At the start of the fight, K. Rool will turn invisible and Chunky has to use the Chunky pad to turn invisible and see the Chunky Barrel in the middle. Chunky then turns into a giant and is able to knock K. Rool against the opposite corner as he charges for him by using good timing. Eventually, K. Rool is knocked out by Chunky. He celebrates his victory as K. Rool gets up with the intent of attacking Chunky before being distracted by Candy Kong and shot with a bazooka by Funky Kong.
Throughout the game, Chunky gains a variety of bizarre abilities from drinking Cranky Kong's various potions, buying weapon and musical instrument from Funky and Candy Kong, respectively. His first individual ability is Hunky Chunky, while the second is Primate Punch, and the third one is Gorilla Gone. Chunky Kong's weapon is the Pineapple Shooter. His instrument is the triangle, and with this, he can use the Triangle Trample. Aside from this, he can learn Simian Slam, Super Simian Slam, and Super Duper Simian Slam, which all Kongs use. He is also the only Kong who can lift boulders.
Unlike the other Kongs, when highlighted in the Tag Barrel, Chunky will try to dissuade the player from choosing him, even going as far as to suggest that the player choose Tiny Kong instead (this will happen even when Tiny has not been rescued), and he will breathe a sigh of relief if passed over. Curiously, he will still try to catch the player's attention when not highlighted.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
"Donkey Kong in When the Banana Splits" comic
In the comic "Donkey Kong in When the Banana Splits", Chunky helps the other Kongs track down King K. Rool when he steals the Golden Bananas. Chunky is the first one to attack the Kremlings, leading to a large battle between them and all of the Kongs. Chunky and his companions eventually emerge victorious, and return home with the Golden Bananas.
Powers and Abilities
Chunky Kong's abilities from Donkey Kong 64:
- From Cranky Kong's potions:
- Simian Slam: he can press green buttons with his face on them.
- Super Simian Slam: he can press blue buttons with his face on them.
- Super Duper Simian Slam: he can press red buttons with his face on them.
- Primate Punch: with this ability, he can perform a powerful punch that is capable of breaking doors among other stuff.
- Hunky Chunky: with the help of Crystal Coconuts he can turn into a giant and pick up large objects, as well as hit large switches. He can also climb on the thick palm trees that are normally unclimbable.
- Gorilla Gone: with the help of his Kong Pad he can turn invisible and see invisible things.
- From Funky Kong:
- Pineapple Launcher: he can shoot pineapples to damage enemies and activate switches.
- From Candy Kong:
- "H-help me! Chunky d-doesn't like heights!" (after entering the level Frantic Factory for the first time)
- "Someone h-help me! I'm s-scared!"
- "Chunky free now. Thank you friend Lanky.
Chunky can collect green bananas.
Me wait in tag barrel until you need help."
- In the game Donkey Kong Country 2, during the first quiz, Lockjaw's Loot, of Swanky Kong's Bonus Bonanza in the Gloomy Gulch world, one of the choices for answers to the question "What is the name of the trendy, surfing Kong, who operates his barrel flights?" is "Chunky".
- In the opening cutscene of the game Donkey Kong 64, during the beginning of the DK Rap, Chunky Kong briefly wears a disco outfit with shiny pink gloves.
- When Chunky lands hard on the ground after falling several feet (and losing one melon slice of health), and he first gets up, his torso and limbs comically shrink until he inflates those body parts back to their actual sizes.
- According to Donkey Kong 64, Chunky Kong (in his normal form) weighs 2000 pounds. It is unknown how much he weighs in his giant form.
- In the game Donkey Kong 64, Chunky Kong's whimpering in the start of the Dogadon boss battle, in the level Forest Fungi, is probably inspired by Pluto the Pup's crying in the animated short A Gentlemen's Gentleman, produced by Disney in 1941.
- Chunky is the only Kong from Donkey Kong 64 to not appear in the game Donkey Kong Barrel Blast for Nintendo Wii. His pineapple launcher, however, was included. He is also the only Kong from Donkey Kong 64 without a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- Just like Kiddy Kong, Chunky had not appeared in any other Donkey Kong games after his first appearance. It is also unknown if he might ever return in a future Donkey Kong game.
- Even if Chunky Kong is considered the biggest and strongest member of the Kong Family, it can argue that the latter is only true in the game Donkey Kong 64, because, in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Donkey and/or Diddy Kong would later punch/headbutt the moon out of orbit.
- Chunky Kong in video games and other media has showcased many feats.