Bleak's artwork from Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!.
|Residence(s)||Bleak's House, K3|
|Powers/Abilities||Throwing snowballs, |
Shooting snow boulders out of his hat
|Enemies||Dixie Kong |
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country 3 |
Donkey Kong Land III
Bleak is a large evil snowman who appeared as a boss in Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! and Donkey Kong Land III. He is the ruler of the snowy mountain range of K3 and Primate Plains in Donkey Kong Land III. He lives in the sinister-looking north-east area of the mountain where the boss battle takes place.
He resembles an archetypical snowman, having the traditional top hat, scarf and carrot nose. However, he has a very deranged and sinister look and is quite bulbous in appearance. He also wears sleeve cuffs and fancy shoes.
Bleak is fought in Bleak's House in Donkey Kong Country 3. His main attack pattern is to stay at a distance and throw snowballs or get up close and fire cannonball-like snowballs from his hat. Bleak's weak spot is the glowing red part of his tie, and Dixie/Kiddy must throw a small snowball (much like the targets at Swanky's Sideshow) at the weak spot. Once hit a few times, Bleak will get closer and using pattern-based snowball attacks.
His level was changed to Bleak Magic. Due to limitations, Bleak was radically altered in Donkey Kong Land III. He is fought along a 2-d plane like the other bosses. Bleak will use his hat to fire snowballs in a pattern, and after a certain amount of shots a Wooden Barrel will appear. The barrel must be thrown at him, and repeat.
- The physics of Bleak's battle are similar to Swanky's Sideshow's bonus game, where Dixie or Kiddy must walk left and right and throw a projectile.
- In the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country 3, the Bleak's voice comes from the sound called Male Low Throaty Laugh from album Best of Cartoon & Movie Sound F-X in fragments and with different pitches. But in the Game Boy Advance version, he sounds like the Spider from Fungi Forest in Donkey Kong 64.
- Also, Bleak strongly resembles Bad Mr. Frosty, from the Clayfighter series.
- This is the only boss battle in the game (not counting Squirt's Showdown and Barbos's Barrier in the forms of Animal Buddies Ellie and Enguarde respectively) where the player cannot switch between the two Kongs with the Select Button. Instead, the player has to wait until Dixie or Kiddy (whoever's in the lead) gets hit and then the other takes over, but will then lose a life if he or she is hit also.
- In the beta version of the game Donkey Kong Country 3 for SNES, the sky of boss arena is blue.
- Through hacking tools in the SNES version of the game, it is possible to change the backgrounds in the snow stages by using the code "7E1B5708".